Centers of Expertise
Encore Semi is building and continuously strengthening its Centers of Expertise (CoE), gathering in specific locations a critical mass of experts in the same technical domain. We hire experienced technical leaders and CoE team members to form amazing clusters of knowledge, innovation and hands-on experience. Additional satellite expert resources are gravitating around the CoE geographic focal points, to serve various customer locations as necessary.
Several additional CoE are continuously under development, as we align to the market’s current and future demands.
Value Added Solutions & Tools (VAST)
Our engineering community is regularly developing internal productivity tools and methodologies that can be used by our engineers to support customer projects. The Value-Added Solutions & Tools (VAST) portfolio leverages our engineer’s years of experience and aims to automate and accelerate specific development phases, assuring best quality and compliance, optimizing performance and configuration.
For example, one of the VAST implementations is automating a significant portion of the RTL generation for digital IP or SoC/ASIC integration, saving up to 50% of the overall integration effort.
Encore Semi’s engineering community has access to the VAST portfolio throughout the contributing course of the customer project, bringing additional value beyond the individual’s expertise.
Encore Semi strives to be a trusted long-term partner of its customers, going the extra-mile to assure and commit to a visible impact on projects, and establish collaborative relationship to enable greatest efficiency.
Under corporate-wide Service Agreements with our customers, we enable their business, projects and engineering teams to leverage Encore Semi’s Centers of Expertise and resources. Providing early visibility to our resource availability allows our customers to anticipate and identify where we can make a difference to their projects.
Our typical and preferred engagement model is a symbiotic collaboration, where an Encore Semi’s engineer or team is immersed into the customer’s project environment with a specific mission and deliverables. We combine strength with our customers, to achieve aggressive common goals.
Several implementations of this collaborative model are used:
- Collaborative Projects (SoW): Customers define a mission (goal, deliverables, milestones) aligned to the proficiency of our engineering community and Centers of Expertise, and document in a Statement of Work (SoW). Encore Semi assigns resources to work hand-to-hand with the customer and collaboratively achieve common goals, milestones or set of deliverables. When relevant, a team lead coordinates the synchronization and alignment with the customer’s team, assuring ramp up, execution, ramp down, and tracking/reporting of progress.
A Collaborative Project (SoW) engagement is best suited for projects where there is an strong interaction/interdependence between the deliverables managed by the customer, and the mission of the team, or when significant changes are expected and require agile adaptation.
- Layout team to support the RF IC design roadmap from fabless system makers.
- Design Verification/debug of a complex subsystem done in collaboration with the customer’s IP design team.
- SoC integration in cooperation with the various IP providers and the verification team
- Definition and deployment of a Functional safety policy with the contribution of the various groups of the customer organization.
- System modeling and performance modeling of iterative micro-architecture designs
- Signal integrity analysis/optimization for MCM or interposer design.
The collaborative model is also a good match when there is a strong value in leveraging or aligning to existing knowledge, environment or IP/assets from the customer. In this case, Encore Semi supports the main development activity, with minimum support from the customer to leverage of internal assets, documentation and knowledge.
- Development of derivative SoC products (e.g. change I/O from PCIe gen3 to gen4)
- Customization of a SSD firmware stack with specific low-level commands
- Technology migration
- Analog-Mixed-signal IP re-layout from 13 to 11 layers of metal
- Insertion of Diagnostic mechanisms to make an IP or SoC compliant with Functional Safety requirements and standards.
- Augmentation (Individual or Team): Customers express a need for one or several engineers with a specific skillset or experience. Encore Semi assigns the required experts to support the need. Our engineers follow the day-to-day instructions from the customer, while Encore Semi engineering managers supervise and coach the team to assure value-added contribution.
The augmentation engagement model is best suited for projects where it is challenging or too early to identify a clear definition of deliverables, and/or where the project requires a frequent re-allocation of the resource assignments.
- Few resource additions to a large team with similar skillsets
- One expert supporting several projects several sub-projects
- Path finding project with the mission to define a new architecture or new strategy
- Turn-key project (SoW): Customers provide a complete specification or starting point and document in a Statement of Work (SoW) for Encore semi to produce a fully-specified and fully-contained deliverable. Encore Semi assigns a team to handle the complete project. In some technical areas, Encore Semi leverages its ecosystem to provide a relevant solution to customers.
Specifically, Encore Semi has teamed up with foundry partners to offer solution to fabless customers. We can provide the “specification-to-GDS2”, “RTL-to–GDS2” or “Netlist-to-GDS2” part of the project, while foundry partners provide the PDK/CAD environment, manufacturing, packaging, production test environment and the product qualification support.
- Fully validated RF Front-End IC
- Enterprise-grade SSD firmware stack for Cloud applications
What our expert team can do for you
- Design verification (UVM/OVM, SystemVerilog, ABV) and verification plans
- SoC and FPGA design implementation
- Custom analog and mixed-signal layout in FinFET technology
- RTL design (Verilog, SystemVerilog, VHDL)
- Low-power design from system level to physical implementation and signoff
- Static timing analysis
- RTL and gate-level power analysis and correlation
- Formal verification and property checking
- Emulation and simulation
- Place and route
- Clock tree synthesis
- Timing closure
- Signal and power integrity (IR-drop) analysis
- Yield enhancement
- Physical verification
- Silicon debug
- H/W and S/W co-verification
- Design for test (DFT), ATPG, and scan insertion
- Custom embedded software and firmware development: Linux, Android, Windows, Windows CE, WindRiver, GCC, GDB, Visual Studio, Eclipse, ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, DSP, PCIe, TCP/IP, USB, SD, eMMC, and NAND
- Complete board support packages and operating system porting: bootloaders, kernels, device drivers, DDK releases, toolchains, and root file systems
- Middleware and library porting and updates: OpenMAX, OpenGL.VG, ALSA, libc, ulibc, and bionic